As soon as spring comes, it’s time to keep an eye on your gutters to ensure they’re unclogged and the water is properly draining. Especially as you get into fall if your property has quite a few trees on it. Clogged gutters may not seem to important, but they are. Here are 5 reasons why you should keep your gutters clean:
- Water damage – Gutters are a critical part of your home’s design when it comes to the weather and properly diverting water away from your home’s structure. When gutters backup and water flows out of the designed path, it can cause water damage to your fascia, attic, and internal walls that can turn into an expensive repair.
- Protect your roof – Your roof and gutters work together. Water runs down your roof into the gutters where it’s taken away. If it backs up and begins causing water damage in your roof’s structure, your roof can begin to warp and weaken… causing more water to enter your home. esirable homes for rodents, birds, and insects. The last thing you want is a pest infestation in your home!
- Ice dams – Excess water in your gutters increases your chance of an ice dam, where water at the edge of your snow-covered roof freezes and pushes water under the roof. That seepage will loosen shingles and can cause water damage to your roof decking, both of which can cause interior leaks. That ice can also tear off your gutters, ruin your attic insulation and cause mold and mildew problems.
- Protect your foundation – Gutters divert the water down downspouts away from your home’s foundation. Getting water in your foundation, your crawl space, or your basement can erode the support of your home and lead to some really expensive reapirs..
- Keep pests away – Rodents and birds love clogged gutters since they’re a perfect place to nest. Clean your gutters out so you don’t attract any pests you don’t want!
- Keep your gutters looking good – Water spots where your gutters are pouring over can make quite a mess. Keeping your gutters free of debris is a great way to also keep your home looking great.
Some Tips For Cleaning Gutters
- Start at the bottom, ensuring all of your downspouts are in good shape where water is flowing away from your foundation.
- Don’t lean your ladder on your gutters. Gutters are lightweight and aluminum… so a ladder can easily scratch or dent them.
- Wear gloves. Aluminum gutters often have sharp edges that can cut you easily.
- Bring your house up and fully flush all the waste out.
Gutters Keep Clogging?
If your gutters keep clogging, there are a couple of things we can do to help:
- 6″ Gutters – Installing a wider gutter system can help debris flow more easily – especially if it’s raining hard.
- Leaf Guards – There are an array of leaf guards that are inexpensive and designed to fit directly on your current gutters. These guards allow the leaves to wash off your roof while the water filters nicely into your gutters.
If you’d like a free estimate on repairing or replacing your gutters… or installing a great leaf guard system for your home, please give us a call.