Opening an umbrella indoors might be bad luck, but have you ever had a roofer replace your shingles, only to find that your begonias have met an untimely demise, your prize-winning roses are now an abstract sculpture, and there’s a rain of nails making your lawn look like a prickly porcupine? Not to mention that mysterious dent in your gutter that wasn’t there before. When it comes to replacing roofs, it seems that some roofers have the attention span of a goldfish on a sugar rush, treating your home and garden like an extreme game of Jenga. But fear not, dear homeowners! Our teams have set the standard here in central Indiana.
How Bauerle Roofing Protects Your Gardens And Property From A New Roof Installation
At Bauerle Roofing, we don’t just see a roof over your head – we see the years of dedication you’ve poured into making your house a home. The blossoming garden you’ve nurtured, the trees you’ve watched grow, and the personal touches you’ve added to your property all matter to us because they matter to you. We understand they’re not just things but an integral part of your life and memories. Our team respects and protects these cherished aspects during every roof installation.
Roof replacement is a significant construction process that involves the removal of the old roof and the installation of a new one. This process can inadvertently cause damage to nearby areas, such as gardens due, for several reasons:
- Falling Debris: The removal of the old roof can cause shingles, nails, pieces of flashing, and other debris to fall. If a garden is located close to the house, it might get hit by this debris.
- Heavy Equipment: Roofing projects require a variety of tools and materials. These can be heavy and cause damage if they fall or are placed in garden areas.
- Foot Traffic: Roofers must move around the property to access the roof, carry materials, and remove waste. This increased foot traffic can compact soil and damage plants in the garden.
- Displacement of Materials: The force from throwing old shingles down or dropping new ones can displace mulch, soil, and smaller plants. It can also damage more delicate plants.
- Temporary Structures: Sometimes, temporary structures or machinery (like scaffolding or dumpsters for waste materials) might be needed, which could be placed in or near garden areas, causing potential damage.
- Weather Conditions: If the roof replacement takes place during harsh weather conditions, the exposed garden could suffer from debris carried by the wind or from unexpected rainfall if the home’s gutter system is temporarily disabled.
To prevent such damage, we take various precautions like using protective plywood and tarps over the garden areas, setting up designated pathways to minimize foot traffic, and scheduling the job during more favorable weather conditions.
Tarps and Nets To Protect Gardens and Property During Roof Replacement
The photo you’re seeing in this article isn’t some stock photo; it’s an actual home that we just did a roof replacement on in Lawrence, Indiana. You can see some of the challenges – a beautiful garden on the front side, a deck on the rear, a steep lawn, and a complex structure. To protect the gardens and property, our crews spent time planning, preparing, and installing the necessary tarps and nets to protect the property for the customer.
The installed tarps redirected all the debris (old shingles, flashing, nails, packaging, etc.) into a convenient spot where our teams could easily capture and remove them. Our crews accessed the roof from areas where foot traffic wasn’t an issue (driveway, sidewalks). While planning and preparing the property took hours, it enabled us to do a thorough job without damaging the homeowner’s beautiful gardens and property.
The Results? A 5-Star Review!
Don’t take our word for it, though! The homeowner left us a glowing review on Google!
Positive: Professionalism, Punctuality, Quality, ResponsivenessBarb Kielkowski
Bob Bauerle went above and beyond on our whole roofing process. We had a claim with Owens Corning that had stalled out, but Bob went to bat for us and got it resolved. He then went above and beyond to protect my extensive landscaping from any damage using special netting that attaches to roofline and allows debris to slide out away from the house (and past all the landscaping). He was on the job site every day making sure everything was going as expected. Really an outstanding roofing company I would highly recommend!
If you want a roofing or gutter contractor that cares about your property, call Bob today to come out and plan your roof replacement!